Sunday, October 31, 2010

Finding a new heartsong

I love Happy Feet. It's one of the best sunshine movies I've ever watched and a pretty kickass reminder that you don't need a camera to make a film. Its also a reminder that indomitable drive can make even the seemingly repugnant become extraordinary.

I need some sunshine. So does LMP.

The unfortunate events of the last month have seriously dented my ambitions. The new Diary and Scarboro Fair together would have been kickass. So would the opening with Sure Thing.

I mean we've still got time. Or so I thought. A couple of junies have already gotten around to Thespo 11 (all the best with that people) with their version of Cut!. Jeeps. And here I had some big plans with the original.

I must be honest I felt like quite a dudu when I missed the Thespo bus in college due to oversleeping if I remember. I doubt if things have changed much. Q was pretty much as close to a genius as I had seen then and I doubt things have changed there too.

But I honestly felt that going for a play now was more important than the fairly lengthy engagement skill imparting process that is Thespo. Is craft more important or doing plays regularly? Standard answer - a combination of both. The ride to good theatre is going to be a learning one as well. Besides I'm above 25 and can't enter Thespo anymore. Gleep.

Which brings me to my fundamental predicament. I was annoyed that people I knew were doing theatre while I was not. And not with us to top it. I've always been competitive but I rarely show it when it comes to theatre. Right now 3 MICAns apart from me have started theatre in Mumbai.

I know. And I get it now. Its a petty thought. I'll get over it.

Theatre is no one's monopoly. Hell if it had been, it wouldn't be a hobby profession despite the entertainment industry boom over the last 15 odd years. And I doubt if some newbies or me are gonna change it. If I need to earn my spurs and so will they. So lads and ladies, the market is watching and its waiting. Fresh talent is always welcome. For every new star there's always someone new breaking through.

Theatre in Mumbai is a constant audition. And for all of us dreaming of another life, while standing now at the downside of advantage, its time to seize our chance.

Because if your on in Mumbai, you never know whose watching. :)

2011 is going to be rocking for LMP. I'll guarantee that. New plays, new directors and new actors. Its time to start planning and strategizing. Coz by the time we get to it, we'll all be itching for some stage air.

Its time for a new heartsong - Mumbai's your stage. Own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment